The early history of the Werribee Cemetery is associated with the development of the Wyndham (now Werribee) township in the early 1860s after the establishment of the Wyndham District Road Board in 1862 and the creation of Wyndham Shire in March 1864. Land for a cemetery reserve at Wyndham was gazetted on 10 October 1864, some seven months after the creation of Wyndham Shire. The reserve covered 13 acres in Crown Allotment 25 and was located on the north side of the Geelong and Melbourne railway line. The site is shown earlier on a January 1863 Lands Department map, and is marked on a later 1860s Geological Survey map with other township landmarks including the railway station, police paddock, pound and Werribee Park.
The following burial options are available at Werribee Cemetery:
- Lawn graves with plaques
- Lawn graves with headstones
- Monumental graves
Werribee Cemetery is most notable for the large number of Italian graves, which relate to the migration of Italian farming families, especially from Sicily, in the 1920's. To reflect the Heritage a Mausoleum was constructed in the early 2000's, reaching capacity in late 2012. In 2015 construction commenced on Stage 2 of the mausoleum which will increase the capacity by an additional 170 crypt spaces. The boutique development also includes 4 private access family mausolea.
The following memorial options are available at Werribee Cemetery:
- Rose Memorials
- Garden Memorials
- Niche Walls
- Native Garden area for the scattering of cremated remains
- 7.30am - 5.30pm
- 7.30am - 7.30pm (during daylight savings)
Vehicle access is available during visiting hours.