In 1865 Truganina cemetery was gazetted, the second district public cemetery. The land was originally part of the 128 acre property owned by William Doherty in 1858. Prior to the opening of the cemetery, Truganina residents were buried within enclosures on local farming properties. In addition to being the internment site of Truganina's early settlers, the cemetery is also the site of endangered plant species. Button Wrinklewort (Rutiodosis Leplorrhyncoides) is an endangered species that exists in few locations in Austraila. The cemetery also supports one of the best remaining examples of the original Kangaroo Grass (Themeda Triandra). The central section of the cemetery has been reserved for the preservation of these species.
Truganina Cemetery has monumental burial sites available. There are no cremated remains memorials at the cemetery.
- 7.30am - 5.30pm
- 7.30am - 7.30m (during daylight savings)
Please note there is no vehicle access available at Truganina Cemetery.