• Date: 29/06/2017
  • Cemetery: GMCT Home

GMCT recently presented the restored historic fountain at Williamstown Cemetery to a very special guest - a descendant of the fountain's original benefactor. 

The Williamstown Cemetery fountain was constructed in 1892 and recently underwent significant restoration works. The restored fountain was christened at a special community event last month.

In the lead up to the event, GMCT trust member and historian Dr Jan Penney searched for ancestors of the original benefactor of the fountain, Mr John Joseph White. Mr White donated 25 pounds towards construction of the fountain, commissioning it as a tribute to his wife Agnes.

A descendant of Mr White, Mr John Schmode, was discovered living in Melbourne. While Mr Schmode was unable to attend the fountain’s christening last month, he recently met with Dr Penney and GMCT staff at Williamstown Cemetery to see the fountain firsthand. Mr Schmode enjoyed inspecting the fountain and learning about the technicalities of the restoration process from GMCT’s landscape architect.

Read more about the historic fountain here.


Above from left: Dr Jan Penney with John Schmode and his wife Irene.